What is Cholesterol?
Cholesterol is an organic molecule, NEEDED by your body to make hormones, vitamins and build cells. It is waxy in nature. In the body it is formed by the liver and the remainder is added through your diet from dairy products and animal meat.
It is not bad but excess of everything is poison and so is cholesterol. High amounts of cholesterol binds with other substances and forms plaques.
What is LDL, VLDL and HDL?
Cholesterol travels in the blood stream with help of lipoproteins (substances made of protein and fat that carry cholesterol through blood).
There are two types of lipoproteins:-
- LDL (low density lipoprotein) also known as BAD cholesterol as its elevated levels increase risk for heart diseases and stroke.
- VLDL (very low density lipoprotein) also known as BAD cholesterol as it also contributes to heart diseases by building up plaques in arteries but is different from LDL as it carries triglycerides.
- HDL (high density lipoprotein) also known as GOOD cholesterol as it absorbs and moves cholesterol back to the liver from where it is flushed out of the body. It decreases the risk for heart diseases.
What Causes Elevated Levels Of Cholesterol In Blood?
- Very little or no physical activity:- lowers down your HDL level which inturn increases cholesterol in blood.
- Unhealthy lifestyle:- eating unhealthy food like fried food, processed food, increased dairy diet, animal meat raise your LDL levels.
- Smoking:- decreases HDL and increases LDL.
How To Prevent Hypercholesterolemia (High Cholesterol)?
You should remember 3 C’s when having Hypercholesterolemia :-
Check:- get yourself checked and know your cholesterol levels.
Change:- change your lifestyle and eating habits focus more on healthy food and physical exercise.
Control:- talk to your doctor and let him/her guide you on how to control your cholesterol level.